What type of doctor should I see for contacts?

Share This Post

Doctor for contact lens

Book Your Contact Eye Exam

If you’ve ever booked an eye exam or needed other kinds of eye care, you’ve probably noticed that there are two kinds of eye doctors to choose from: optometrists or ophthalmologists. There are key differences between the two – besides how easy it is to spell! – but those differences can confuse people about what kind of doctor they should see and when.

If you wear contacts and want an eye exam, which kind of eye doctor should you book an appointment with? It’s important to understand the differences in eye professionals so you can make the best decision for you and your eyes.

Ophthalmologists vs. Optometrists: What’s the Difference?

An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor licensed to practice medicine and perform vision-related surgical procedures. They have years of advanced medical training to diagnose eye diseases, provide treatments, conduct research, and prescribe medications.

Ophthalmologists can fit patients for eyeglasses and contacts, but they typically refer patients to an optometrist to correct conditions like nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. Optometrists screen patients for LASIK candidacy, and they work alongside LASIK surgeons to coordinate those procedures.

Who Should You See to Get Contacts?

Ophthalmologists are ideal for treating severe eye diseases and vision disorders, as well as providing referrals for eye surgery, but if you’re looking to book an eye exam and contact lens fitting, an optometrist is ideal. General vision care is the primary service they offer their patients, so they’re the best equipped to fit you with contacts.

Think of an optometrist as a primary care physician for your eyes; if you see your vision changing or you need an eye checkup, that’s the office you call. They’re also equipped to fit you with prescription glasses.

What Happens During a Contact Lens Exam?

During a contact lens exam, an optometrist will evaluate the size and shape of your eye to find a lens that’s comfortable to wear and that also matches your prescription. The optometrist will also check for any specific eye health problems that would impact the comfort of the lenses in your eye.

Your optometrist will take cornea measurements to determine the proper size and curve of your contacts, as well as pupil and iris measurements so they order contacts that fit well on your eyes. If you have a dry eye condition, which the tear film evaluation will show, your optometrist will recommend special contacts for dry eyes.

After the exam, your optometrist will give you several different brands of contacts to try on in the office so you can determine which ones are the most comfortable. Once you decide on a comfortable brand and lens, your optometrist will write you a contact prescription and you’ll be able to order more contacts.

Contact Windsor Eye Care & Vision Center

If you want to get fitted for contacts and also maintain your eye health, seeing an optometrist at Windsor Eye Care & Vision Center is your best bet. We can perform your annual eye exam and fit you for contacts, and write you a contact prescription – taking care of all your eye care needs in one! Contact Windsor Eye Care & Vision Center today to schedule an appointment.

More To Explore

Routine Eye Exams: What to Expect

What to Expect During a Routine Eye Exam Routine eye exams are quick and painless, and typically only happen once a year. Nevertheless, for some

Our Mission

Our mission is to enhance quality of life by improving eye health and vision through compassionate care, using state-of-the-art technology, and with exceptional patient service.

Improving Eye Health and Vision in Windsor, Co
Skip to content